Co-Chairs: Sydney Howell & Caress Roach
Application deadline extended to Oct. 25!
Chapel Hill-Carrboro Area Alumnae Chapter is gearing up for a virtual Delta G.E.M.S experience like none other!
If you know of a high school girl in Chatham or Orange County, between the ages of 14-18, who could benefit from this unique leadership development opportunity, please encourage her to apply by October 25th!
Growing and Empowering Myself Successfully
Sponsored by Chapel Hill-Carrboro Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated
The Jeanne L. Noble Delta GEMS Institute is a national signature program of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated for high school age women aimed to create goal-oriented and community minded young women by actively engaging them in monthly subject-based workshops and community events within the greater Chapel Hill area. Each subject-based workshop is focused on equipping these young women with tools for success in the classroom and beyond. Previous workshops have included: college/career planning, healthy living, body image, healthy relationships, financial literacy, social media etiquette, and more.
The goals for Delta GEMS are:
- To instill the need to excel academically;
- To provide tools that enable girls to sharpen and enhance their skills to achieve high levels of academic success;
- To assist girls in proper goal setting and planning for their futures (high school and beyond); and
- To create compassionate, caring, and community minded young women by actively involving them in service learning and community service opportunities.
Previous Workshop Topics:
- Social Media Etiquette
- Tools for Academic success
- Standardized Test prep
- College/Career planning
- Healthy relationships
- Healthy living and Body Image
- Financial literacy & Planning
- Local college campus visits
- Self-Esteem & Empowerment
GEMS participants are encouraged to become actively engaged in their surrounding community through various public service activities. Chapel Hill-Carrboro Area Alumnae Chapter, in conjunction with Delta GEMS has continual working relationships with several local community organizations including:
- Ronald McDonald House
- SECU Family house
- UNC Comprehensive Cancer Support center
- American Red Cross
Additionally, GEMS are exposed to the plethora of various local events and activities offered in their community. Previous excursions have included:
- Celebration of Carolina Performing Arts
- Hillside’s “FAME”
- “I Love My Hair” the play
- UNC v. Duke women’s basketball
- NCCU v. NC A&T football
- Collegiate step shows
- Martin Luther King parade