New Location: Bicentennial Plaza
1 E. Edenton St., Raleigh, NC
The 4th Annual Divine Nine NC Legislative Day that will be held on Wednesday, May 15, 2019, is an occasion of collaboration, information-sharing and advocacy for members of the Divine Nine organizations and the NC community. The purpose of Divine Nine NC Legislative Day is to increase awareness, build momentum and gain an understanding of important social issues that impact our communities. This unique educational opportunity, will better prepare us to empower ourselves and serve our local communities.
May 15, 2019 Program:
(click here to download program)
Registration: 8 – 9 am
Opening Session: 9 am
- Welcome & Invocation: Juanita Massenburg, South Atlantic Regional Director, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority and Rev. Dr. Trish Harleston, South Atlantic Regional Chaplain, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority
- Greetings and Pledge of Allegiance: Larry Hall, NC Secretary of Veteran Affairs
- Greetings from D9 – Host, Alpha Phi Alpha
Divine Nine Recognition North Carolina General Assembly Greek Members: Melvin Mitchell, Sixth District, Omega Psi Phi
- NC Governor Roy Cooper
- The Honorable Dan Forest, Lt. Governor
- Representative Tim Moore, Speaker of the House
- Representative Darren G. Jackson, Democratic Leader
of the House
- Senator Phil Berger, President Pro Tempore
- Senator Paul Lowe, Leadership of Black Caucus
Legislative Issues Agenda Education & Advocacy: Kappa Alpha Psi
Advocacy Agenda Panel Discussion:
Greek Members of the NC Legislature
Rep. Raymond E. Smith Jr. (Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. – District 21)
Senator Dan T. Blue Jr. (Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. – District 14)
Senator Erica D. Smith (Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. – District 3)
Rep. Robert T. Reives II (Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. – District)
Legislative Building Stairs, Halifax Mall
Legislative Visits: NC Legislative Building
• Prayer: Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc.
Reyna Walters-Morgan Esq., Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.
— Divine Nine Advocacy Do’s & Don’t
— Voter ID Update Discussion
— Real ID Information
Break Out Sessions: Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.
- Press Conference: Divine Nine National and Regional Leadership, NC Legislative Building, hosted by Representative Jean Farmer-Butterfield, District 24
- Politics & Pulpits: When Faith Overcomes the Separation of Church & State, Museum of History (5 East Edenton Street), Moderated by Tayon Dancy, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
Representative & Pastor James Gailliard, guest speaker,
Word Tabernacle Church, Rocky Mount, NC
Dr. Dumas Alexander Harshaw
First Baptist Church, Raleigh, NC
Bishop J.Jasper Wilkins, II
Wake Chapel Church, Raleigh, NC
Dr. Telika McCoy, Youth Pastor
Mount Peace Baptist Church, Raleigh, NC
Pastor Cheryl Moore
Zion Temple United Church of Christ, Durham, NC
- Census 2020: NC Department of Public Instruction
(301 N. Wilmington Street), Moderated by Regional Director Steven Okoba, Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc.
Kenneth C. Wilkins, Guest Speaker
- Sexual Assault: NC Department of Public Instruction
(301 N. Wilmington Street)
Monika Hostler, Guest Speaker
Attire: Members of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.